conTeyor: textile packaging solutions - reusable and returnable packaging
Frequently Asked Questions
- Fabric is very thin and flexible (<1mm). This allows parts to sit very close together in packaging without actually touching each other. Your benefit is a very high packing factor (= optimised cube utilisation).
- Fabric acts as a second “skin”, fully protecting the sensitive surface of each part. Your benefit is less rejected parts because of transportation damage.
- Because textile is so flexible it is easy to fold. This means that the returnable packaging solutions can be folded and made smaller when returned empty.
- Unlike rigid materials, textile is very forgiving because of its soft properties. So when an operator bumps the part against the upper edge of a pocket or cell, the part is not damaged, nor is the operator's hand hurt. This is not the case when rigid materials or divider materials are used.
- Textile is very flexible, allowing a universal packaging design.
- Textile is easy to clean.
- It reduces dust and oil contamination which can be caused by the use of corrugated paper/cardboard & foam.
- It can be installed in any container or box.
- It is lightweight and operator-friendly.
- It has a wide temperature range ( +50C° - 25C°).
A: Permanent use in an industrial environment undeniably has an impact on all returnable packaging solutions as also on our textile solutions. However with our 15 years of experience, we know what works and what does not work over a longer period of time.
All new packaging solutions look very good on their first day of use. But what do they look like after 6 months, 3 years or even longer? This is where conTeyor's quality sets it apart from its competitors. We invite you to talk to our customers and let them convince you.
One aspect of our clever designs is the ability to exchange components subject to intensive wear and tear easily, without having either to change the whole system or to take them out of your supply chain.
Q 4: HOW DO I KEEP MY TEXTILE CONTEYOR PACKAGING SOLUTIONS CLEAN?
A: As with all investments, regular maintenance will extend the lifetime of your returnable packaging solution. This includes dry storage with all sides of the packagings closed during storage.
However, we know that this will not always be possible. That is why conTeyor solutions are designed to keep out alien elements such as dust, water and dirt. This includes proper front & top closing curtains as well as sealed container sides.
In the event that the internal textile solution does get dirty or wet, the conTeyor textiles are easy to clean. If selected during the design phase, the textiles can be water repellent or dust repellent, which will further facilitate easy cleaning.
To further assist our customers, conTeyor has also developed dedicated cleaning tools to facilitate quick and easy access to all parts of the solution as well as special cleaning liquids that leave behind an anti-static film.
A: It is known that (the adding of) silicones may cause problems during paint processes. However, not all silicones react in the same way. There have been misunderstandings in the past regarding the effects of silicones, what silicones are exactly and how much is too much. On top of this, there are more chemicals, other than silicones that can disrupt in a paint process.
When our customers use returnable packaging solutions to transport parts that are to be painted or coated, we advise clear communication on the customer’s production process during the packaging's design phase. There are many solutions to every problem, but you should know from the outset, conTeyor does not add any silicones to their textiles during their production process, nor do their suppliers.
A: Each solution is designed with a particular logistics flow in mind, as well as the geometry of the part that is transported in the packaging. With these parameters identified from the outset, the packaging is expected to last the part's production lifetime.
Changes to the supply chain flow and/or changes to the component, may have an effect on the lifetime. We advise you to contact us in such a case, to discuss any possible impact on the lifetime of the packaging.
A: Yes. All our smart material handling solutions are designed according to the specific requirements (existing specs) and operational conditions (preliminary study by conTeyor at the assembly line) of the customer.
Q 8: HOW LONG IS THE THROUGHPUT TIME OF A PROJECT?
A: On average, design and prototyping take up to three weeks. Serial production takes another four weeks.
A: Yes, we are ISO 9001:2008 certified. This means we consistently provide product solutions that meet customer and applicable regulatory requirements.
A: We cover almost every European country with representatives that are familiar with the local market situation, culture and language. Have a quick look on our Contact page.
A: We offer three types of design, based on different logistics processes:
- Internal transport, with ergonomics and easy handling at the forefront of the design process.
- External Transport, which supports long distance shipping, for example from Tier to OEM sequencing plant, whereby packing density is crucial in reducing transportation costs.
- JIT/JIS Flows (JUST IN TIME/JUST IN SEQUENCE), whereby the packagings are used very frequently by two different companies. Here, clear identification, light transportation and intense use are the key design parameters.
A: Usually yes. Refurbishing of existing handling units such as standard plastic boxes is possible in most cases. A conTeyor specialist can advise you if this is advantageous for your specific situation and purpose and if not, what the alternatives could be.
A: Most of our designs are designed to be foldable. The benefit of folding packaging designs is that, when the packagings are empty, they can be folded and made smaller for the return journey. However this is not always beneficial for the customer. For example, if the supplier is close to the customer, the truck that has delivered the full packagings, may have to return to the supplier immediately, without the opportunity to find another load. So, in that situation there is no benefit in folding the packagings.
But if the distance between supplier and customer is more than (for example) 300 km, it does make economical sense to invest in foldable packagings allowing a higher volume of packagings to be returned for the same transport costs. Usually we can get 3x as many racks folded into the same size truck, thereby saving on transport costs.
All conTeyor solutions are design with stacking in mind. By stacking, premium floor and truck space is optimized. During the design phase special attention will be paid to existing material handling specifications and to the safety of the operators.
A: The benefit of using textile is that it adds very little weight to the overall packaging. All conTeyor innovations focus on reducing the weight of the solution, allowing more parts to be packed in a packaging, while remaining below the weight limitations set by ergonomics regulations.
For solutions that are moved manually by operators, the overall weight of the box including parts may not exceed 12kg. In some countries other regulations allow us to go up to 15 Kg.In solutions where the operators do not manually handle the packagings, the mechanical properties of the design combined with the load factor determine the maximum weight of the part.
This will have to be determined on a case by case basis.
A: Minimum: 30x30x100 mm; Maximum: 3000 mm (length)
- No cutting tools needed for the set-up of cardboard boxes and similar
- No in-plant waste (such as splinters, wrappings, …)
- No sharp edges operators can hurt themselves on. Even the sides of the containers are made from soft textiles that are strong enough to keep out water and dust but that will not hurt an operator when damaged.
- The opening edges of each cell or pocket are soft ensuring that operator's hands don't get hurt.
- conTeyor solutions are robust and easily stackable.
- The main goal is to improve the comfort level of the operator and eliminate all risk of injury.
- A preliminary study at the assembly line of both sender (Tier) and receiver (OEM), leading to a design that supports comfortable handling.
- Input of the operators is vital. conTeyor considers its job well done only when the operator likes to work with our solutions. The operator gets easy access to the parts, which prevents unnecessary bending or stretching.
- We always stick to the maximum weight for lifting.
A: Our constant watchword is 'work 100 % waste free'.
A: By opting for a reusable textile-based conTeyor packaging solution your entire supply chain management and logistics benefit from this on different levels:
- Component protection: a very low reject rate, through excellent protection of scratch-sensitive components.
- Material handling and ergonomics: your packaging is modeled to meet the requirements of your processes. There is an optimal use of the available space at the assembly line. Your packaging is adjusted to facilitate the operator’s comfort, safety and productivity. Our solutions offer easy access to parts. The operator can fit a component, and immediately pick up the next component without having to stop to remove any packaging material.
- Logistics: a high(er) load factor, achieved by our flexible packaging solutions allowing a higher packing density. Fewer transport journeys, organized in a loop system.
- Lean: is your packaging smart, i.c. does it not slow down productivity or efficiency with non-value adding practices (‘waste’)?
- Green packaging: reusable and recyclable. In combination with less transport and having no more waste streams reducing your carbon footprint (less CO2).
Optimized efficiency and an attractive return on investment make our solutions profitable for the duration of the product life cycle.
A: Each solution is designed with a particular logistics flow in mind as well as the geometry of the part that is transported in the packaging. With these parameters identified from the outset, the packaging is expected to last the part's production lifetime.
• Fitness for use: right amount of components, at the right time, in the right sequence.
• Optimum protection by our technical textiles with specific properties.